Wednesday, 14 May 2008

Vatican: "Aliens could exist".

I love the Vatican. When they aren't putting out lists of new deadly sins (many of which seem to be thinly disguesed attacks on science in general) they are making themselves look a bit silly in stories like this.

What amuses me the most about the article is not the sentiment about aliens life forms being possible, and not contradictory to the bible, which is near-enough sensible. Except when your reasoning is that (and I found this quote in another comment on the original article)...

"Ruling out the existence of aliens would be like "putting limits" on God's creative freedom, he said."


No, it's not that that amuses me most, it's the original article title from the Vatican Magazine, the immensely improbable "Aliens are my Brother". Because...

"Just as we consider earthly creatures as 'a brother,' and 'sister,' why should we not talk about an 'extraterrestrial brother'? It would still be part of creation."


It would be the most majestic silliness, if only it wasn't dead-serious. I'm also looking forward to the Vatican's "Darwin Conference" next year, that should be even more entertaining...

No comments: